S2AS - News

Monday 10 October 2011

Hadlow ID 2012 Kite Review at S2AS

The Hadlow Pro from Flexifoil is one of the sweetest kites I have ridden in the correct conditions. Once gusty or overpowered it becomes a real hand full, okay if you are Aaron Hadlow, but I am NOT...So the clever people from Flexifoil have given us the ID.


 The Flexifoil ID is designed to fill this gap, you want a performance kite but really don't want the grief that comes with it. It is aimed at intermediate to Pro riders that want to push their freestyle limits but also want to surf a few waves, do a bit of wake style or just cruise around in comfort sometimes.
This kite does what it says and I apologise now if this review sounds more like an advert for the Hadlow ID than a review but I nearly peed myself in the time I had on this kite with excitement, it is without doubt one of the best kites I have ever flown, so yes, I am biassed about this kite!
Out of the bag you notice the build quality as with all Flexifoil kites. Solid materials, quality rip stop, a very thin leading edge that is massively reinforced and crispiness! The Hadlow ID looks like a C kite with flat leading edge and squared off wing tips, they have added a slight curve into the tips but everything else looks like a Hadlow Pro. It flies on four lines and has a bridal system along the edge, not too dangly to get the kite wrapped up in the waves, but bridals all the same. Pump it up as hard as you can which is quite quick as the edge is really thin and you are ready to go!


We had the Flexifoil Hadlow ID for a Flexifoil Demo weekend we were holding and the wind was interesting on all three days I used the kite. We had 10-30 mph the first day, 20-35 the second and 25-40 the third. Would I have used a Hadlow Pro kite?...Would I hell! I was a little apprehensive launching the ID the first day as it was very gusty with very big holes in the wind. The kite sat stable and absorbed the gusts, not like the Pro by a country mile already! Confidence building already...
Off we go....It sat well in the sky, yes it rocked around a bit but gosh it was gusty but you didn't feel this through the bar. The bar pressure was medium but this was reassuring as you had such good feedback you knew exactly where she was without even looking. She turned to order easily, quickly and in the low wind periods you could throw it around and still get going. When it blew you could push away the bar a little and it did spill the wind you didn't want to convert to raw power...OMG it was controllable from the bar in the gusts and not by edging your guts out..My love was growing for this kite already!

On the waves (we had 1.5 head height all three days) it was a dream, tons of power in the old bird but push the bar away and she would float down the line. I was making every lip I wanted to and she never felt unstable at all or pulled me off any waves. Okay, by now it was definitely a she, it was my mistress and I was in lust! I wanted more and I didn't care how late home I was for the wife as she was in the sky and it felt right...(Sorry Gina if you are reading this, it is a different love!).
I am competing in the BKSA Seniors this year and doing okay (Someone has to come last but the Birdie has been unleased at Rhyl and Hunstanton!) but aren't good by far! I can do raileys and unhooked back rolls and a few kite loops. It is my level this kite is aimed at, someone that  wants to do a bit of freestyle and push their limits but also wants to play on the waves and feel safe!




Right, back to the kite.....The jumps are truly magnificent with some of the biggest and floatiest jumps I have ever done. Do a search on Kitecrowd forum and you will see a video there of the day I was testing it. Richard said I was like an excited kid...I was! Re direct the kite and BAM...Your off. I felt very safe under her wing...Yep, the love was getting more!
Unhooked...OMG! Unhook the kite and it doesn't move....No loss of power at all and massive pop, edge as hard as you can and the kite won't move forward, she just growls a little more....Release and have the ride of your life, it does give a bit of slack for a handle pass, I could feel the slack but are no where near a pass at my level.


The landings were good and some on my face but that wasn't down to the kite, more the driver!
Re launch is not automatic but it's also not hard. I had the kite back up in seconds on all the tests I did with it, I was worried it would be a pain as it has so much C characteristics to the kite.
My only issue was the bar. I don't like the bar as am used to a different one. Credit where it is due though, the teflon coated dyneema lines are in my opinion some of the best on the market and they do send two chicken loops with the bar and a donkey dick for the Hadlow Chicken loop which is a nice touch. If the bar is an issue DO NOT DISMISS this kite. I fly the Hadlow ID with the Airush 2011 bar and it gives me the self locating chicken loop, mechanical release system and brings the bar closer to me. If you too have a favourite bar and it uses equal length lines (nearly all of them do) the ID will fly on this. If you buy a kite from us we will also set it up with your bar if required.


To sum it up...One of the best kites I have ever used, strong, powerful, safe and controllable. I have used the shop demo kites for years but have ordered my own ID's. I honestly missed the ID when I sent it back as my kites didn't feel right any more. I have now got over it and love my old kites again but am longing for another date with my mistress!




Review is courtesy of our good friends over at Kitemare



To read more about the Hadlow ID, check it out here on S2AS now!

For More Info Call S2AS on
01303 268269 Kent
01202 738448 Poole
01273 746836 Hove