S2AS - News

Sunday 19 June 2011

Xenon Laluz 2011 Kiteboard Review

I've decided to write a short review on the Xenon LaLuz 132x40. (2011)
Xenon is a Polish company and have been producing kiteboards for some time now. The LaLuz for 2011 is manufactured in a snowboarding factory in Austria. A solid wood core throughout with ABS rails and 5cm G10 fins. For 2011 a new pad and strap system is used which is a vast improvement over last years design. To this end the board is of the highest quality and the latest snowboard technology is used in it's manufacture.

The board itself is stunningly simple in look and design. On first appearance the board seems a bit understated being white with a splash of red and blue. (reminds me a bit of the French flag) The board itself is as straight forward as one can get. A beautiful elliptical outline with a single concave. (No inverted abs rails, double concave, carbon X's etc) When you first pick up the board you immediately notice the lack of weight. The board is very light and very flexible, it feels like a much smaller board in hand than it looks. At 132x40 with so much flex you would think that this board would only work in the most powered conditions. Imagine my surprise!

On first stepping into the new 2011 pads and straps it felt like stepping into a pair of slippers. I have rather small feet and always struggle finding pads that prevent my feet from slipping out. These are great with a unique recess where the balls of your feet slip into with an elevated section for your toes to rest on. Works really well. The only criticism here is that the pads are factory coated with a silicone type coating which makes them a bit slippery when they get wet. After a few uses the coating gets worn through and the pads are nice and grippy.

On the water the board feels really light and small on your feet. Even though it's only 132x40 it starts plaining really early and needs less wind on the same kite than my other board that's a 136x40.5. The board is nice and soft to ride and eats through typical Dubai chop very easily. I did pick up some spray when I first took it out but adjusted the pads to a slightly wider stance and that solved the problem completely. Xenon advertise the LaLuz as a freestyle board but I would categorize it as a freeride board with great freestyle characteristics. It's not an all out flat water pop machine like some dedicated freestyle boards are but then those are hard on the knees, not good in chop and tend to spray in anything other than the flattest water. The LaLuz does have some great pop and works even in underpowered conditions. The only criticism here is that it doesn't pop as well when the kite is low. I read about this in another review and have experienced that when the kite is lower than 45 degrees a bit more work is needed to get good pop for rotations and railleys. This may just be a technique thing that I will have to iron out over time. I would recommend this board as a one board solution that is perfect for our less than perfect Dubai conditions. All in all I would say that this is the best board I have ever ridden. It ticks 90% of all the boxes for me and I'm really having fun with it. Don't take my word for it though, demo one when you get the chance and find out for yourself.

Happy kiting,

Dimitri